Thursday, May 25, 2006

Florida

Our goal was to be in Florida by the 23rd of May, so our exitus from the Bahamas was fast tracked. On route from Nassau to Chub Cay we had very light winds but were able to do a combination of sailing and motor sailing. We did have an interesting view of a funnel cloud over chub cay and uncertain as to which way the weather was moving so we quickly took down the sails and had a front row seat watching it form and dissapate.

With one last desire to swim and snorkle, Ron and the girls humoured me by pulling into a beach at North Bimini. Lily and Jenessa had fun swimming around and playing on our tow tube while I snorkled off towards the beach. The bottom here is very sandy and my expectations of seeing much here was low, but boy I do love to swim and snorkle. There has been one fish, that has eluded me that was high on my list to see and that is a Queen Trigger Fish and I still don't believe it but I saw one. This blew me away.

Bimini is the last set of islands before crossing the Strait of Florida, which I understand from others can be nasty at times due to the Gulf Stream. We had a picture perfect crossing and arrived at Port Everglades at about 5:oo p.m., though I am sure Ron would of liked more wind. Our destination, Hollywood Loggershead Marina is just a short jaunt up the intercoastal waterway with only 3 bridges to cross under. The intercoastal waterway is an amazing system with an untold number of bridges and million dollar homes.

It is with mixed emotions our journey has come to an end. What a wonderful time we have had with our daughters and friends and what an amazing journey. We will miss the beautiful warm waters, sandy beaches, exotic ports and the many new friends that we have made, but we are all looking forward to returning to our own corner of paradise and to see our family and friends.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home