Friday, May 05, 2006

Bahamas (3)

Well we are still anchored off of Volley Ball Beach working on the details to connect with Jenessa’s friend Lily. Jenessa and I went yesterday with the dinghy and anchored at a little sandy beach near by from there we did a short walk across the island until we arrived at a beautiful white sand beach open to the Atlantic.

We had a great time walking the beach exploring the tide line and collecting a variety of different shells. After our walk we returned to the dinghy and played in the water until we attracted too much attention from a large barracuda. Now even though everything we read and hear about the barracudas tells us they won’t bother us, we still are very respective of their space (and teeth).

Today, we were off to town for water and fuel and while I was there I asked a lady at the straw market if she would teach me how to make a basket. So that is what I did today. It was great. My teacher was a 60+ year old great gramma named Nessie. We used a local palm called a silver palm (I think). The style of basket she showed me takes her about three days to complete and she sells it for $15 – 20.00. Well after hearing this I will not try to get them to reduce the price anymore.

We ended our day with all four of us going for a swim and walk collecting shells on the East side of Stocking Island. It was fun playing in the waves and trying to out do each other in who could find the best shells. This sunset picture was taken on our way up to this island from Rhum Cay.

1 Comments:

At 5:18 PM, Blogger chung said...

beautiful pictures!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home